Comfortable, Accurate Mix Headphones
Like the NS-10s before them, Yamaha’s HPH-MT8 Studio Monitor Headphones are designed to cast a white-hot spotlight on the problem areas of your audio. From the studio to the stage, these high-performance cans will help put the finishing touches on your mixes and paint your source material in a realistic light. Yamaha HPH-MT8s are loaded with full-range 45mm neodymium dynamic drivers for accurate sound reproduction across the entire audible spectrum. Their comfortable ABS headband, ear cups, and pads are designed to stand up to long mixing hours. The Yamaha HPH-MT8s include a carry bag, 4- and 10-foot detachable cables, and 1/4″ adapter.
Closed-back, circumaural design
There are two factors at play here: the closed-back earcups, and a circumaural (around-the-ear) design. The closed backs mean that your Yamaha HPH-MT8 Studio Monitor Headphones offer increased isolation from outside sources, suiting them to stage use where you’re surrounded by loud audio. Their circumaural design means they seal around the ears to create the big bass needed for mixing applications.
Should I mix with headphones?
Monitoring in a reliable, treated environment with speakers you trust is always going to trump mixing on headphones. But today’s mixing headphones have gotten so advanced that, for audio folks without a great room and reliable speakers, they’re sometimes a better alternative. Take the Yamaha HPH-MT8s. These headphones are built for mixing from the ground up. Their drivers and ear cups have been designed to eliminate extraneous resonance, ensuring that what you hear in your HPH-MT8s remains true to the audio source. Headphones also have the added advantage of being portable — mix at the beach or at the coffee shop if you feel so inclined.
Business or pleasure?
Making great mixes means getting your hands dirty. That means hearing things that are sometimes unpleasant — room peaks, bass buildup, shrill sibilance, noisy guitar amps, and so on. As a result, the Yamaha HPH-MT8s are not Sweetwater’s top recommendation for pleasure listening. But if you’re looking to make solid mixes that translate from system to system, they should be high on your list.
Yamaha HPH-MT8 Studio Monitor Headphones Features:
- Finish: Black
- Specially designed for mixing
- Shed light on the problem areas of a mix
- Suited for the stage or studio
- 45mm CCAW neodymium drivers reproduce the entire audible spectrum (15Hz-28kHz)
- Comfortable design — built for long mixing sessions
- Closed backs — provides isolation from outside sounds
- Circumaural design — seals around the ear for deep, accurate bass
- Ear cups flip up for one-on, one-off monitoring
- Impedance: 37 ohms
- Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
- Includes a carry bag, 4- and 10-foot detachable cables, and 1/4″ adapter
- Fit Style:Circumaural (Around the Ear)
- Driver Size:45mm
- Frequency Response:15Hz-28kHz
- Impedance:37 ohms
- Cable Type:Coiled and Straight
- Cable Length:3.9′ (coiled), 9.8′ (straight)
- Replaceable Cable:Yes
- Plug Size:1/8″, 1/4″ adapter