Incredible Value in Pro Headphones
Looking for amazing value in professional monitor headphones? Sweetwater has a great suggestion: the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. A-T’s flagship M series ‘phones feature 45mm neodymium magnet drivers that deliver the accurate frequency response and stunning detail you need to make sound decisions when you’re recording, mixing, or DJing. The closed-back design gives you superior isolation with minimal bleed, while the circumaural earpads give you cushy comfort during long sessions. Factor in their space-saving collapsible design, swivel earcups, and detachable cables (the ATH-M50x comes with both straight and coiled ones), and you have a winner.
Closed-back vs. open-back
Also referred to sometimes as simply “closed” and “open,” this distinction addresses the design of the part of the headphone that covers the area behind the driver in a straight line away from the side of your head. Closed-back headphones like the ATH-M50x prevent sound from escaping and leaking into your microphone. The downside of this design is that it traps pressure inside the headphone, which creates false low frequencies. Open-back headphones, on the other hand, don’t suffer from this issue. They deliver outstanding accuracy and clarity that are suitable for critical listening.
Circumaural vs. supra-aural
In layman’s terms, these terms simply mean “over ear” (circumaural) and “on ear” (supra-aural). In the case of headphones, this refers to the design of the earcup, which is the cushion that sits between the headphone’s speakers (drivers) and your ear. Supra-aural headphones are rarely used for professional applications; although, they’re great for casual listening — especially if you need to be aware of what’s going on around you. On the other hand, over-ear headphones like the ATH-M50x offer excellent attenuation of external noise.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Features:
- Critically acclaimed sonic performance and build quality
- A favorite of top audio engineers and pro-audio reviewers
- 15Hz-28kHz frequency response
- 45mm drivers with rare earth neodymium magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Tuned for flat response and superior accuracy across the entire frequency range
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent isolation in loud environments
- 90-degree swiveling earcups for easy 1-ear monitoring
- Professional-grade earpad and headband materials give you comfort and durability
- Collapsible design gives you space-saving portability
- Detachable cables (3.9′-9.8′ coiled cable, 3.9′ straight cable, and 9.8′ straight cable)
- A top choice for tracking, mixing, DJ monitoring, and personal listening
- Includes carrying pouch and 1/4″ screw-on adapter